- Jesus ate the Passover with
His disciples on the evening of the fourteenth by Moses’ law
(Ex 12:6-8; Matt 26:17-20; Mark 14:12-17; Luke 22:7-15).
- The crucifixion began at
9:00 AM, and Jesus died after the darkness ended at 3:00 PM
(Matthew 27:45-50; Mark 15:25,33-37; Luke 23:44-49).
- Jesus was buried hurriedly
as the preparation day ended and the high Sabbath day was
about to begin (Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:14,31,42).
- The women who followed
Jesus rested the high Sabbath day of the Passover before
buying and preparing their spices (Mark 16:1 cp Exodus
- The women bought their
spices and prepared them on the regular workday between the
two Sabbaths days this week (Mark 16:1 cp Luke 23:55-56).
- The women rested during the
weekly Sabbath day after buying and preparing their spices
the previous workday (Luke 23:55-56 cp Exodus 20:10).
- Jesus rose from the dead
as the weekly Sabbath ended – three days and three nights
after burial – as prophesied (Matthew 12:39-40; Mark 8:31).
- While it was still dark,
the morning of the first day of the week, the women found
the tomb already empty (Matt 28:1-6; Luke 24:1-3; John
- The gospel record of Jesus
Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection prove His
identifying sign of three days and three nights (Matthew
- Anyone holding to a Friday
crucifixion and/or a Sunday morning resurrection is denying
the very sign Jesus gave to prove He was the Son of God.
Days and Three Nights
- The greatest fact of the Bible is that Jesus of Nazareth
is the Son of God (John 20:30-31; Acts 8:36-37; I John
- The gospel is the good news that Jesus died, was buried,
and rose again, according to the Scriptures (I Cor 15:1-4).
- Scripture states that Jesus rose THE third day, IN three
days, and AFTER three days (Matthew 16:21; 26:61; 27:63).
- Only three full days – seventy-two full hours – will
satisfy all the numerous statements of the New Testament.
- Jesus gave only one sign to prove He was truly the Son
of God – the time He would be dead (Matt 12:38-40; 16:4).
- Jesus knew there were twelve hours in a day; therefore
He prophesied seventy-two hours in a grave (John 11:9-10).
- Satan is at war against Jesus Christ and wants to deny
His gospel by any lies that He can (II Cor 11:3-4; Gal
- Easter tradition has Jesus dying on Good Friday
afternoon and rising Sunday morning – one day and two
- Easter tradition denies the gospel and the very sign
that Jesus Christ gave of His identity as the Son of God.
- If He was not in the ground three days and three nights,
then He is a liar and not truly the Son of God. God forbid!